Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The 60-60-60 Challenge: Day Two

Welcome to Day Two of the 60-60-60 Challenge to support America SCORES Seattle and celebrate National Poetry Month!

As promised, below are some poems and resources to help you reach your goal of giving your Full 180 to America SCORES Seattle by taking the 60-60-60 Challenge to read 60 poems for National Poetry Month, to walk 60 miles for yourself, and to raise 60 dollars for America SCORES Seattle!

Start fundraising now by joining our team on crowdrise :: Seattle SCORES' Full 180 

Today’s poems were written by last year’s representatives from Seattle who went to New York City and performed on the stage at the Apollo Theater at the America SCORES 2012 National Poetry Slam.

When I Close My Eyes
By Tya Nguyen, Maple Elementary

When I close my eyes, I see you
The person who makes my heart whole
You’re my life, my heart, my soul
You’re the awesomest person I know
You stand by my side
And keep me safe and whole
I hope you know how much I love you so
As time goes by and I grow old
You don’t know how many times I cry
When I open my eyes
And my days are done
I know that we’ll be one


My Pencil
By William W., Bailey Gatzert Elementary

My pencil is the key to my imagination
It shows me new things
And keeps secrets from me
My pencil is like a gentle rose in a garden
My pencil is the rocket to success
One day my pencil will lead me
                to my million dollar contract
I know I was born with a pencil in my hand
My pencil will be passed down
                for generations and generations
My pencil, my pencil, my pencil

Black History Month
By William W., Bailey Gatzert Elementary

February is black history, we should all know this

Dr. Martin Luther King fought for our rights
And Madam CJ Walker kept our hair neat and tight

Benjamin Banneker worked with a grand clock
Man black history month really rocks!

Michel Jordan had his own shoe; you can buy at the mall
And Jackie Robinson was the first African American to hit a major league baseball

Michelle Obama married Prez number 44
And Gandhi said end all war

Sojourner Truth only spoke the truth
We should believe her, me and you

Mohammed Ali only fought in the ring
He probably bought his wife lots of bling bling

Jesse Own ran lots of track
And Bill Cosby knows how to act

Maya Angelou is a great poet
Oprah Winfrey changes lots of people’s lives
Coretta Scott was Dr King’s wife

And today's video is from SCORES poet-athlete, Vanessa L. at Maple Elementary, whose poem "SCORES is My Life" will be published this month in America SCORES national publication, the Kicker.



Suggested Hike/Walk

Carkeek Park :: Eddie McAbee Entrance  at NW 100th Place to Carkeek Beach via Pipers Creek and Wetland Trails & Return
Mileage: 2.5

ABOUT CARKEEK PARK

This popular park offers extraordinary views of Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountains. Explore the secrets of this northwest Seattle watershed, nine miles from downtown. Here, 220 acres of lush forest, meadows, wetlands, creeks, and beach are formed by the magic of water and time. Come take part in an education program, have a picnic, or get involved as a volunteer teacher or as part of an outdoor work party. Walk the Pipers Canyon Story Trail, play on the uniquely salmon themed play area, or touch time at the historic Piper Orchard.

Join the Seattle SCORES' Full 180 team, and share with your friends and family.#Full180

No comments: